You read that correctly! Over many years of practice it is always surprising to me the reasons people have for not getting legal representation. Here’s a list of the top 5 reasons why people don’t think they should get an attorney:
1. I don’t want to sue my employer. Not a problem, because you’re not allowed! In workers’ compensation law, employees who are injured by accident at their workplace cannot sue their employers, but must go to the North Carolina Industrial Commission instead. If benefits are being wrongfully denied or delayed, the attorney will take that up with the insurance company, not with your employer. The employer will not be sued.
2. I just want my medical bills to be paid. In order to get paid for your medical bills, you have to file a workers’ compensation claim! Many times, your medical bills can pile up for months as your treatments extend. Under workers’ compensation law, you never see a bill. In addition, if you have lost wages or are out of work for any period of time, you are entitled to payments for your lost wages even before you settle your claim. The system is designed so that workers do not have to go through the financial hardship of dealing with lost income while juggling bills.
3. I don’t want to get fired. There are several reasons why employers know they should not fire injured workers. First, the workers’ compensation system is designed to allow employees to claim benefits for accidents at work without the need for costly lawsuits. In most all cases, employers have insurers who investigate the claim and hire and pay an attorney to represent the company. Your employer usually isn’t out of pocket at all! Second, firing an injured worker could bring a claim against them for a retaliatory termination. That could be a much more expensive lawsuit for the company as their insurance does not cover such an act.
4. I can’t afford a lawyer. At The Dummit Law Firm we do not get paid until you get paid. Your initial consultation is free, you will not have to pay out of pocket, and there is no fee unless we are able to get you benefits!
5. The insurance adjuster seems to know what I should get. He most certainly does know what you are entitled to, but is not offering it to you! Insurance adjusters are in the business of saving their companies money. They are not in the business of looking out for your best interest. They may sound knowledgeable and even accommodating to you, but they are not in your corner.
6. I wasn’t hurt that badly. When you are hurt at work, it may be difficult to know immediately how the injury affects your work now, as well as future employment. When you hire a Workers’ Compensation attorney, you hire someone who has experience in how injuries like yours could affect your job situation for years to come.
You have a very limited time to get your benefits! Contact The Dummit Law Firm right away.