Should you happen to be injured in an automobile accident, here are some things you need to know:
- Seek medical attention if you have been injured; if you are not at fault, you may be entitled to your reasonable and necessary medical expenses.
- Follow up with your primary care provider; if you are referred to physical therapy or a chiropractor, then go and attend all of your appointments.
- Make sure you report each one of your medical symptoms every time you visit a medical provider; an accurate medical file will permit the doctor to more fully treat you and to make a permanent record of how you have been injured.
- Obtain a copy of the accident report; in some instances you may obtain this report from the internet, other times you may need to contact the department that conducted the investigation directly.
- Keep a journal of what you remember from the accident, the extent of your injuries, the treatment you have received and by whom, the medications that you may take and any time spent missed from work or at a doctor’s visit. Recollections can fade with time, it is important to have a fresh record later on.
- Do not give a recorded statement to an insurance adjuster; the adjuster may seem to be your friend, but they are trying to settle the claim for as little money as possible; it is not advisable to speak with an adjuster about your injuries until you have been released from medical treatment and know the full extent of your injuries.
Seek the advice of an attorney. An attorney can help you obtain a more full and just result for the damages that you may have suffered. An attorney will work for you and not for the insurance